Are You Prepared For Hurricane Irma?
Hurricane Irma has now reached Category 5 status, making it the largest Atlantic hurricane in history to make landfall on the East Coast. This hurricane could have devastating consequences for our beloved Queen City. Now is the time to prepare.
Based on the most current models of Hurricane Irma’s predicted trajectory, Charlotte is right in this giant storm’s path. We can expect Irma to hit Charlotte the hardest on Tuesday, September 12th.
3 Tips For Hurricane Preparation:
1. Build Your Hurricane Supply Kit
If You Lose Power, Here All the Items That You Need:
- Bottled drinking water (at least 1 gallon per person per day with at least a week’s supply)
- Non-perishable food (enough for every family member for at least a week)
- Everything your pet needs — food, water, litter, leash, etc.
- Batteries for all needed devices
- At least one flashlight for each family member as well as battery powered lanterns
- First-aid kit, medicines, and any necessary prescription drugs (at least a week’s supply)
- Fully charged cellphone with charged external battery packs
- Cash, including small bills (ATMs may not work)
- Important documents in a waterproof container or watertight, resealable plastic bag
- Car charger for cell phones and other devices
- Batteries: Extra batteries for all of your devices
- Full tank of gasoline in your car
- Kerosene/oil for heaters
2. Trim Tree Branches Near Your Home
Major Winds Can Cause Damage
Hurricane Irma is producing incredibly strong winds upwards of 175 miles per hour. Such strong wind, along with heavy rainfall, is very likely to damage trees. If you have large trees around your home, be sure to trim them so they don’t break and damage your home.
3. Install a Home Generator (On Time Electrical can help get this done before the storm arrives!)
Don’t Be Without Your Power
In addition to the potential for flash flooding, Charlotte and the surrounding areas are likely to lose power, possibly for several days. This is particularly dangerous for children and the elderly. A home generator will power your entire home in the event that Charlotte loses electricity.
On Time Electric Wants To Help
Home electric generators are used to make sure you have power if there is an electrical outage. Different levels of generator offer different levels of service.
A home generator is wired directly into the power system of your home. If you aren’t an electrician, then installing a generator yourself could be very dangerous. Plus, if it isn’t installed properly, it may not even work. It could also cause a fire, potentially damaging your property and endangering the safety of your family.
A licensed electrician has the expertise to guarantee that your home generator is installed correctly. They can also help you decide which size of generator is right for your home and your energy needs.
A home generator could make all of the difference to your family’s safety.On Time Electrical’s professionally licensed electricians provide full service installation, assuring that your home generator is ready for this unprecedented hurricane. Contact Us today to learn more!